Get Some WOWs at Your Table:
Stuffed Vegetarian Cabbage Cake
This recipe comes to you at the demand I have received recently from a friendly fan of my blog. While our most common stuffed cabbage is the stuffed rolls, the Stuffed Vegetarian Cabbage Cake is also a Lebanese dish, and a delicious one!
Unlike the stuffed rolls, the cabbage cake is vegetarian, stuffed with burghul, fresh parsley, fresh mint and tomatoes, among other ingredients. It looks great on the table when you are receiving, and even more appetizing when cut to serve.
The greatness of this recipe, in my opinion, is all the health benefits you gain from it. I will brief them for you here:
- Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, and Anti-Cancer
- Supports the Digestive Tract
- An excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin C and vitamin B6.
- Regulates Cholesterol, and Blood Pressure, and supports Heart Health
- Protects from radiation therapy
- Immunity Booster
- Helps with Weight-Loss and Skin Health
- Improves Brain Health and Bones Health
- Reduces Muscle Pain
THE BURGHUL (Cracked Wheat)
- A healthy diet food for effective weight loss,
- An Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidant
- Comes loaded with calcium and manganese
- Reduces Risks of Metabolic Syndrome, Gallstone, and High Blood Pressure
- Manages Diabetes
- Relieves Constipation
- Helps protect against Cancer.
- Protects against Childhood Asthma
Wheat may cause bloating to some individuals. If you are among them, friends at Bodynutrition.org recommend that you take probiotics supplements.
How to Make A Stuffed Cabbage Mold
- 12 leaves Cabbage
- 6 cups Water
For the Stuffing
- 1 cup Burghul (cracked wheat) washed and drained
- 2 Tomatoes (medium) chopped finely
- 1 Onion (medium chopped finely
- 1/2 bouquet Fresh Parsley chopped finely
- 1/4 bounquet Fresh Mint chopped finely
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Pepper paste
- 1/2 cup Tomato paste
- 2 tsps Olive oil
- 2 Tomatoes cut in 4 pieces each
- 1 Lemon sliced and cut half-moon
- 1-2 tbsps Fresh Parsley chopped finely
Preparing the Cabbage Leaves
Boil the washed Cabbage Leaves for a minute or until they wither.
Remove from water and wash them with cold water and into a sieve.
Cut off the hard center part while maintaining the form of the leaf.
Mix well all the stuffing ingredients in a large bowl, then divide the mixture into three equal parts.
In a pan, lay 6 large Cabbage leaves, allowing the extremities to overflow the borders of the pan.
Spread on 1 part of the mixture, and cover it with 6 leaves of Cabbage (without overflowing this time).
Spread on the 2nd part of the mixture, and cover with 6 other Cabbage leaves. (without overflowing)
Repeat the process with the remaining mixture and the remaining Cabbage leaves.
Gently grab the overflowing extremities of the first (bottom) layer and cover the top and last layer of the cabbage.
NOTE: Store the leftover of the cabbage in the fridge for another recipe.
Pour on the 6 cups of water and bring to a boil on medium heat.
Cover and leave it to simmer on low heat for 45 minutes or until well cooked.
Set the casserole aside to cool down.
Hold the serving plate over the casserole, and gently turn it over, and discard the casserole.
You may serve it at your table as is, or cut it in 4 equal parts.
Serve at once or cold.
Garnish around it with the tomatoes and lemon slices, and sprinkle the parsley on the top.